Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Sandwiches, Soup & Pizza?

Hope everyone had an amazing weekend! I always look forward to Mondays. It's grocery shopping day! Look out Whole Foods!

A few months ago Hubby, Kya, and I stopped at a cafe in Baton Rouge that serves Vegetarian and G-Free food. Since I never posted about it on The Veggie Side, I thought today would be a great day to post sandwiches along with my soup!


Kya had an almond butter sandwich with baked sweet potato fries and an almond butter cookie.



I had a veggie sandwich. It was loaded with eggplant, lettuce, tomato, onions & avocado. I also had the sweet potato fries.




Hubby had a pizza...not really sure if it was Vegan or not. (Probably not) At least it was full of veggies. He's come a long way and is very supportive of my lifestyle.


This is one of my own sandwiches. Simple & Delish! Just the way I love it. The pictures were taken with my phone, sorry.

Two slices of vegan bread , two slices of tomato, vegan Swiss flavored "cheese", & veganaise. Put everything on the bread and grill with some earth balance butter. Enjoy!



You would not believe the massive amount of veggie soup I made yesterday! We'll be eating it for a week! The recipe I'm posting here is divided in half, which makes a family size serving other than the village sized serving that I made.
Very Veggie Soup


Ingredients

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp basil
8 cups water
1 small sweet onion cut into fairly large pieces
4 medium carrots sliced
3 celery stalks
1/2 small cabbage cut into large pieces
2 cups cooked or frozen Lima beans
2 ears of corn remove kernels from cob
2 cups green beans

Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion, carrots, celery, and herbs. Heat until carrots are a little tender (about 10 minutes). Add water, cabbage, Lima beans, corn, and green beans. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes (or as desired...the longer it cooks the more tender the veggies and thicker the soup, just don't make mush). Add salt and pepper to taste.
I'm a very happy soup maker. Look at that POT!!!

Update on the Soup...It's GONE!!!!!!!! The whole pot! Between my parents and the rest of my family, we ate it all! I guess I did pretty good on my first Veggie Soup! :-)

Hubby and Kya waiting for their serving of soup.


What is your favorite soup? Sandwich? My faves are corn and potato soup & tomato grilled cheese is my #1 sandwich for now.

Are there many Vegan friendly restaurants in your area? Here in Louisiana, there are not many at all. I was lucky to come across the one in Baton Rouge. I've heard that there's a Vegan pizza place in New Orleans. I'll have to look into it.


Have a great Monday!!!

7 comments:

  1. Your Very Veggie Soup looks absolutely delicious! I don't have a particular favorite soup... but anything with lots of veggies always becomes one of them! :)

    I love your blog and can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many favorite soups I can't even begin to list them . . . but anything with Indian spices has to top my list.

    Here in suburban Cleveland, there are almost no vegan friendly restaurants, but the ones that do exist are excellent. In fact, there is one that I go to about 3 days per week, it's called Organic Energy, and it's that good. I hardly eat out anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Your soup looks great! I love a hot meal on a cold day.

    My husband and I make large pots of food too. We eat and then freeze the rest. Good for days I don't feel like cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gina! Thanks! We didn't get to freeze any of it because we ate ALL OF IT!!! LOL! I guess it was good! And it has been very cold here in Louisiana so the hot soup was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soup looks so comforting n hearty..perfect for this weather..

    Beautiful post!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete