Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

"Quinoa-Lime Veggie Salad"

I made one great salad last night! My sis is going vegan this week to kick off a new healthy lifestyle. So that's great for me because I'm kind of in charge of us both. It keeps me in line knowing that my habits are influencing someone else.

Let's just call it the "Quinoa-Lime Veggie Salad" Here's the recipe.

Salad
~Lettuce (one bag)
~Tomato (I used two Roma and a hand full of cherry)
~Avocado (2)
~Lime (1)
~Garlic Powder (to taste)

Quinoa topping
~Quinoa (1 cup)
~Yellow bell pepper (1 large)
~2 cups water
~Olive oil (1 tsp)

~Chow mein noodles (the little crunchy ones)

Chop yellow pepper, tomato, and avocado. Keep separated. Squeeze half lime onto avocado to keep fresh. Set to side.
Rinse quinoa and drain. Add two cups water to quinoa in a small boiling pot. Bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 10-15 min. (I like mine overcooked) While simmering, warm olive oil in a sauce pan, add yellow peppers and cook until tender. Add cooked quinoa to peppers and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.

Mix lettuce, tomato, and avocado in a salad bowl. Squeeze lime over top and sprinkle garlic powder. Mix. Add more garlic powder and lime if desired.

Make a bed of lettuce on serving plate. Add about 1/2 cup of quinoa to the top. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment